There has been alot of controversy revolving around the use of silicone in hair products. It is said to mask damage and split ends, such that when one stops the use of silicone, all the accumulated damage shows through at once. While this may be true, some people have found that their hair cannot live without silicone! In the past, my hair was very happy with silicone serums, and was shiny and smooth from the use of them. However, it has become very finicky of late,and ends up crunchy if I use a leave-in that contains silicone. Thus, I decided to do a little experimenting to see decide if I should stick with silicone or not.

First thing I did was to abandon my silicone serum in favour of my trusty coconut oil. I shampooed my entire length to get rid of the silicone serum in my hair, and then applied coconut oil when damp. Lo and behold, my hair was much softer and happier with the use of coconut oil. To ensure this was really the result of switching to oil, I tried this for a few more washes, achieving the same result. My silicone serum is happily collecting dust on my shelf now, at least until my hair decides it needs a change again.

Next, I thought that maybe I should try a silicone-free wash-off conditioner too. So I went out and got one, using it for my next wash. This one was a no-go. My hair was tangly and unmanageable, oiling it did not help either. So...I went back to my silicone-loaded conditioner.

Funny isn't it, that my hair loves a silicone wash-off but hates a silicone leave-in? For those having hair problems, it's best to do some experimenting of your own, but be sure to only change one element at a time, so you know exactly what you changed that made a difference. For example, try a different serum while keeping all other parts of your routine the same. Don't change your leave-in and wash-off and the same time! Also remember that hair, like your skin, is always changing. Products you have been happy with for a long time may suddenly stop working!





0 comments:

Post a Comment